» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... 715» Next»     » Slide Show


Biography and research notes

Granville Cecil Morton was born Sept. 17, 1903, Archer County, near Archer City, Texas and died Nov. 9, 1969, Dallas, Texas. He married (1) Thelma Beatrice Lindsey Dec. 21, 1926 in Saline County, Arkansas, daughter of Isaac Lindsey and Lula Dover. She was born Nov. 20, 1906 in Norman, Montgomery Co., Arkansas and died Aug. 13, 1938 in Dallas, Texas. He married (2) Gladys Hattie Hurt July 26, 1948 in 3509 Southwestern, Dallas, Texas, daughter of Elzy Hurt and Hattie Foster. She was born Oct. 6, 1909 in Wet Glaze, Camden County, Missouri, and died April 22, 1985 in Dallas, Texas.
Granville Cecil Morton was born September 17,1903, in Wichita Falls, Texas. Six years later the family moved to Grayson County. There he began his elementary education and the family ran a grocery store and real estate business . The Mortons later moved to a farm south of Gainesville, continuing in the dairy business.
As Morton entered high school, the family moved into the town of Gainesville and he got his start in the restaurant business. "I worked my way through high school in restaurants," Morton recalled, "I then left home to come to Dallas where I went to work in a restaurant I decided that was going to be my vocation." He did not graduate from High School lacking only a very little credit, bid did not want to go to school another whole year. He felt he needed to go to work full time
Determined to know all he could about the restaurant business, Morton later left Dallas to work in places coast to coast. "I not only turned out to be a waiter, but a pantryman and a fry cook," he said. It was while he was traveling working in restaurants that he met his first wife, Thelma Lindsey. He was working in Hot Springs, Arkansas and Thelma was working in a Woolworth's 5 & 10 cent store there in Hot Springs. They stayed in rooming houses that happened to be next door to each other. Their first date was an outing at Lake Hamilton.
They were married on December 21, 1926, in Saline Co., Arkansas. His age was listed as 24, and her's as 20 on the Marriage Certificate.
Their one and only child, a daughter, Loumelia Jane Morton, was born October 27, 1927 at their home, 1327 Lindsley Street, Elmwood Addition, Dallas County, in what was known as Trinity Heights.
G. C. and Thelma. finally settled in Dallas where he managed a place at 1512 Main Street. They bought the shop in 1929 and established their first business, "Morton's Sandwich Shop." The family lived upstairs above the sandwich shop. Then G.C.'s Mother, Mildred or "MaMa Morton," came in from the Dairy farm to help take care of Loumelia. G.C.'s sister, Emily Isabelle, would come in after school to work at the cash register.
It was there Morton began experimenting with the newly popular potato chips, a natural to accompany his sandwiches. By this time the potato chip was establishing itself as a good food product, and he found the potato chips he was getting for his cafe were not of the consistent good quality and freshness he desired. He experienced difficulty finding "decent chips" so began to make them for himself. He consulted with his brother-in-law, Robert Kuhn, in Detroit, Michigan, another potato chip producer.
He sold his Sandwich Shop in 1932 and with $15,000 capital set out to manufacture potato chips. Aimed with much advice and little encouragement, Morton opened on East Grand. His enthusiasm was not stifled. Self confidence came from experience. "I'd cooked a lot of potatoes," he replied.
His wife, Thelma, was his partner in the business working right alongside with him. On August 1, 1938, they had a company picnic. Thelma, herself, fried 65 chickens for that picnic. She developed a cold, which turned into Pneumonia. She was afraid of hospitals, so an oxygen tent was sa up in the home and it was there that she died on August 13, 1938.
Morton produced chips throughout the difficult times of the Depression and in 1942 moved the growing business to a new plant on South Harwood. Larger facilities opened on Denton Drive in 1951. As the business increased, so did the list of commodities. In time he added other specialty food item including pickle mustard and napkins along with item for small restaurants. The plant produced institutional products.
Other plants were added as time went on throughout the Southwest, including, besides Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso, Lubbock, Albuquerque, Corpus Christi and Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1946 he was President of the National Potato Chip Institute.
After ten successful years, the Morton family business went public in 1961. Price per share of the stock went from 12 1/2 to 60 in a twelve month period. In February 1964, Morton Foods joined the General Mills family, where Morton served as vice president as well as holding the position of board chairman of his own company.
The life of Granville C. Morton exemplified the typical American story of a man who became successful on an idea. Morton, from a humble start in business, built a food industry on the potato chip. After constructing his empire, he placed his individual needs as secondary and sought to help with curing cancer. He made one of the largest monetary gifts for medical purposes, $I million toward construction of a cancer research center for the Wadley Institute of Molecular Medicine.
Morton, the founder of Morton Foods, once a division of General Mills, spent his life building a small potato chip business into a major food company. Always associated with food production, Morton acquired the nickname of "Potato Chip King."
Morton continuously desired to help fight the cancer problem The disease had frequently touched the lives of his family and friends. "We've had a lot of friends who were healthy one day, went to the doctor the next and found they had cancer," Mr. Morton said "Mrs. Morton (Gladys, his second wife) lost a sister and I've lost two brothers to cancer." One of his brothers, Lawrence, died of cancer of the Pancreas and his brother, Gerald, died with a cancer of the Brain, (Gladys Morton, his second wife died in 1985 of ovarian cancer.)
An effort to see:k a cure led to the $1 million donation toward the erection of the six-story Granville C. Morton Cancer & Research Hospital in 1965. The donation was arranged through the Dallas Community Chest Trust Fund and its president, Fred M. Lange, a longtime friend. "This is believed to be the largest single monetary gift for medical purposes ever made in Dallas County by an individual during his lifetime." (From an article in the POTATO CHIPPER of January 1966.) Morton often said, "I would give more if I could do it on credit."
G.C. started dating Gladys Hurt around 1939. She was working at Sears & Roebuck in the Credit Department. He wouldn't tell her what the "G" stood for in his name, so she called him "George" for a longtime. She was a regular going on trips with G.C. and his daughter, "Lou." She would spend the night a lot of the time sharing Lou's bedroom
July of 1948, after the wedding of his daughter Lou, to Van Calvin Ellis on March 6th of that same year, G.C. planned a surprise wedding for himself and Gladys in his home. She thought that they were leaving for a trip and when she walked downstairs after getting dressed, the preacher and the family were congregated for the wedding, A wedding celebration then followed.


Christmas, 1965

"First, lot me say thanks to all the Morton Family for the wonderful and beautiful plaque given to me in regard to the donation I made for the cancer research hospital. I was very proud to have had the opportunity to do this. I certainly hope it will help to not only find a cure for these malignant diseases but to find out what is really causing them and that they can find a prevention.
We are born into this world through love, Love of our parents for each other as well as love for us. Our well being through life depends on how we use the time we have, of what love and respect for others we have and for what love and respect others have for us. Honor thy father and mother. Show tolerance and regard for our fellow man.
Our happiness through this life is based on what we can do to make others happy. Do unto others as you would like for them to do unto you. The more pleasures we give to others, the more pleasures we will receive. Smile and smiles we get in return. Speak no evil, bear no evil, see no evil. Do not say anything about anyone unless it is something good.
It is more blessed to give than to receive Remember, we can't take worldly goods with us when we leave this life but we can send some ahead for the good off humanity. Help our fellowman when possible. You will be glad you did.
I am sorry I don't get to see and be with you as mach as I used to but I am sure you can understand. I do love you just as much as I always have. I still appreciate your smiles and greetings. I am trying to take it a little easier because I don't feel as good as I would like to. I really appreciate the good work you are doing and loyalty you have always shown.
Now this Christmas has a special meaning to me as you can understand. May God bless you and wish you and your loved ones healthy and happy. It is my pleasure to wish for each of you and your loved ones and friends a very very Merry Christmas and a Bright New Year Sincerely."
The Granville C. and Gladys H. Morton Fund was established with the Dallas Community Chest Trust Fund in December, 1971. That fund has provided $7.8 million in grants, including $2 million to the Wadley Institutes of Molecular Medicine.
Throughout his lifetime, Morton shared with needy causes. His giving reached almost every type of philanthropic cause; medical research, health care, religious activities, education youth, ecology and even historical monuments.
He, and his second wife, Gladys, contributed $59,000 in 1967 to the Cooke County Heritage Society of Gainesville, Texas, to restore the old Gainesville Fire Station and turn it into a museum on Dixon Street that is still known as "The Morton Museum. " Granville C. And Gladys H. Morton Fund continues to support that Museum with annual gifts.
Funeral: Entered Into Red on November 9, 1969; Services at Park Cities Baptist Church at 11 am. November 11, 1969; Dr. Herbert R. Howard officiating; Interment Redland Cemetery - Grave 2, Lot 49, Block B. in the Garden of Peace. Pall Bearers: Jack Evans, Herman Lay, John H. Curtis, James W Campbell, Harvey Noss, Bill Oliver, Bob Rinehart, Earl Wyatt, Dr. Joe Hill, Fred Lange and Chris Hurley.
Granville died at a Cowboy Football game, in Dallas, from a heart attack and is buried in Restland Cemetery in Dallas.

Notes for Thelma Beatrice Lindsey:

Copy of a letter written by Thelma to her sister, Loda, in Norman, Arkansas:

4514 East Grand Avenue Phone 3-4844

"With That Wonderful Flavor "Aug. 2, 1938"
Dear Sister:

Just got your letter and am willing to do my part on fixing Mama's House. You write to all the kids and see what they can do. I guess me and Fannie will be the only one to o help so write her and see what she can do. If we have to she and I can split it. But first see how much the rest can send in. Dovie could put a few dollars in if she would. How much will it take to start it? If it will cost $75.00 and you let the rent pay it out, how much does it take to start it? Will it take the $75.00 or can you pay it out by the month? If it doesn't take cash, what do you mean by paying it out at 500 a month so write and explain just what you need. But what ever it takes I'm willing and you can count on me. Looks like you could pay the lumber out by the mouth and just the labor. So write and let me know how much. See what the other kids can do especially Fannie and if she will go 50-50 with me we wouldn't fool with the others. Bob still owes Morton $10.00 tho for 2 years and never mentions paying it. I didn't think he would be like that but Fannie can get it other places with all her fine watches, rings & ect. Loda when you paper it don't put that old building paper an it, for you know it will be yours afterwards and fix it nice. Looks to me like it would be better for her to get some one to stay with her for she won't to satisfied with just one room and you know she will have to have a place to cook or is she going to eat with you?" Where can us kids stay when we come home? I won't come home till this fall. It is so hot so let me know more about it and what the rest of the kids can do.
Love to all come on down to see me and I'll give you all my old clothes eh? Thelma" (note from Lou: This was written without any punctuation at all, just like it was one long sentence. You will note it was written on Aug, 2nd. And she died on Aug, 13th).

Copy of a letter written by G.C. Morton to his distributors after her death:

"August 17,1938 " ALL DISTRIBUTORS:
Dear Boys and Wives:

I have only a few words to say. I have lost the sweetest and most wonderful pal and partner that a man could ever have. A loss like this means lots more than any of you can understand. Part of MORTON'S is gone, At all times she was part of MORTONS foundation and success, worries and trials. We can give her credit not only as being one of us, but as being part of us. The foundation of everything we have to took forward to was built around her. Lots of times my being able to carry on was on account of her. There were times when I was ready to give up and quit; when times were darkest, she helped me to carry on. Everyone of us that knew her loved her I am sure but I don't believe that there is any one of you who can realize just how deep my love was for her.
Now at this time when everything seem dark and gloomy, I am going to ask each and everyone of you to do the best you can for my sake and hers. The last few months have been hard on us. We need more money; we need more volume, Some of you boys are doing swell and carrying your load as you should while some of you have been having hard times and not able or not coming through like you should. I would like you boys that are low on surplus do all that is humanly possible to get your surplus back to where it should be. I want you all to remember that my wife, my partner, knew that each one of you knew just how sweet she was. Think of her in this time of calamity. That is what she would want us to do, me and you and you. She thought the world of each one of you and loved your wives. In conclusion I am going to ask each one of you to offer a prayer for me in her behalf. As ever,
When she died she still owed Sanger Bros. Inc. a total of $11.66 that she had been paying on the "Club Plan" at the rate of $5.00 a month. She had purchased that month a "slip" for $1.39 and a "dress" for $3.95. The bill was paid off on Sept. 10, 1938. She died of pneumonia.

Funeral: 5:30 p.m., Monday, Aug. 15, 1938 at Sparkman-Holtz-Brand, Chapel. Conducted by Rev. Herman Davis, Internment at 7 p.m. In Grove Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Werth Wimberly, L. M. Mitchell, Garlin Morgan, W. O. Hughes, L. P. Morton and G. D. Morton. Friends who signed the book: Mr. and Mrs. J. G. Salyer, Miss Rebecca Burstyn, E. G Michael, Mr. & Mrs. Dorsey Muckey, Mrs. L. R. Muckey, Billie Womack. The only one of these last names that are familiar to me is the first, whom I assume was Billie Salyer. (Note from daughter, Lou)

Tuesday, April 23,1985

Funeral services for Gladys H. Morton widow of Granville C. Morton, founder of Morton Foods of Dallas, will be at I p.m. Tuesday in The Restland Funeral Home Chapel.
Mrs Morton, 75, did Monday after a lengthy illness.
A native of Wet Glaize, Mo., Mrs. Morton attended business college in Dallas and married Morton in 1948. His firm grew from a small potato chip maker to a large corporation and was sold in 1968 to General Mills. Morton died in 1969.
In 1971, the Granville C. and Gladys H. Morton Foundation turned over its assets to the Communities Foundation of Texas. That fund has provided $7.8 million in grams, including $2 million to the Wadley Institutes of Molecular Medicine, and $1 million to establish the Morton Cancer and Research Hospital at Wadley. Mr. Morton had been on Wadley's board since 1969.
She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Lou Ellis and a sister, Marie Rogas,both of Dallas.
From Obit: Gladys H. Morton of Dallas, 75, a philanthropist and widow of Dallas industrialist Granville C. Morton, died Monday. A native of Camdenton, Missouri, she attended a Dallas business college and in 1948 married Morton, who made his fortune manufacturing potato chips and other food products; he died in 1969. Her philanthropic efforts included the Wadley Institutes of Molecular Medicine and the Granville C. Morton Cancer and Research Hospital. Survivors include step daughter, Lou Ellis of Dallas; sister, Marie Rogers of Dallas; grandchildren, Monica Cleckler, of Bsrksdale, Texas, Meredith Woolworth of Dallas, G. C. Morton Ellis of Rosston, Texas, Calvin Campbell Ellis of Honokaa, Hawaii; and five great-grandchildren. Services are to be hold Tuesday, April 23, at 1:00 P.M. at Restland Memorial Chapel In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sat to: The Morton Hospital or Community Foundation of Texas.
Funeral: 1 p.m. April 23, 1985 at Restland Memorial Chapel, Dr. Robert Feather officiating & Interment at Restland Cemetery in the Garden of Peace. Janice Morton Thornhill sang "How Great Thou Art." Pall Bearers: Jim Campbell, Johnny Martin, Bill Downs, Dan Neal, Curley Mayes, Felix McDanie J, Dub Nelson, and Don Guest.
Gladys' died of Ovarian Cancer. Her first symptom was that of a blocked bowel. She went in for surgery at Presbyterian Hospital. The doctor them sewed her back up said the cancer tumors looked like a tangled mass of Christmas tree lights. He gave her 6 weeks to 3 months to live. She transferred to Morton Hospital and after several more surgeries and lots of therapy, she lived another two to three years. She had to stop the Platinum therapy that was working because it was destroying her kidneys and her liver. The cancer was gone all except a couple of small spots which then spread and caused her death.

"Friends and family were to gather for funeral services for Gladys H. Morton, widow of Granville C. Morton, today at 1 p.m. at the Restland Funeral Home in Dallas. Mrs. Morton, 75, died Monday April 22, 1985, at home after a lengthy illness with Ovarian Cancer. She is buried at Restland Cemetery, Garden of Peace.
Her husband, G. C. Morton, grew up in Gainesville, attended Gainsville High School and went on to found Morton Foods of Dallas. He and his wife contributed $58,000 to restore the old Gainesville Fire Station in 1967 and turn it into the museum on Dixon Street that bears his name.
A native of Wet Glaive, Mo., Mrs. Morton attended business college in Dallas and married Morton in 1948.
Morton, whose father owned a dairy farm on East California Street near Edison School, left Gainsville before finishing high school and started a family potato chip business in Dallas that he later parlayed into a large corporation. He sold it to General Mills in 1968 and died a year later.
Morton spent many hours in Gainesville while the museum was being built and became very interested in his hometown in the 1960's
In 1971 three years after Morton's gift to the Cooke County Heritage Society, the Granville C. and Gladys H. Morton Foundation turned over its assets to the Communities Foundation of Texas. That fund has provided $7.8 million in grants, including $2 million to the Wadley Institutes of Molecular Medicine and $1 million to establish the Morton Cancer and Research Hospital at Wadley. Mrs. Morton had been on Wadleys board since 1969.
She is survived by a daughter, Mrs Lou Ellis, and a sister, Marie Rogers, both of Dallas.
Morton's grandson and namesake, G. C. Ellis of Gainesville, owns and operates Bomber Baits Co. on Lindsay Street. He and his wife Mary have two children and live on a farm near Hood in Cooke County. They have lived in the area for the past two years.
Ellis is currently on the board of directors of the Heritage Society."

Child of Granville Morton and Thelma Lindsey is:

Lournelia Jane Morton was born Oct. 27, 1927, 1327 Lindsley, Elmwood addition Dallas, Texas, as per the birth date entered in Baby Book by Mother.. She married Van Calvin Ellis March 6, 1948 in Dallas, Texas, son of Calvin Ellis and Ophir Edwards. He was born Dec. 22, 1926 in Methodist Hospital, Dallas, Texas.
Lournelia was born at home because Thelma was afraid of Hospitals and refused to go to one for the birth. The doctor that was supposed to deliver the baby was not available so a substitute doctor by the name of Dr. Sours grabbed his bag and came instead. He thought, mistakenly, that the nurse had diluted to 1/10th of 1% the silver nitrate, used in new born babies eyes. In fact, the silver nitrate put into Loumelia's eyes was 100%. The doctor realized something was wrong immediately and tried to rinse the solution out of her eyes. He was able to save the left eye, but the right eye was burned, and her vision lost in that eye. The Doctor came out the next day, saw what had happened, disappeared and the family never heard from him again.


When she was just a few weeks old, her parents took her to an eye doctor who had to pry her eye open in order to check it. He told them that when she became around 15 years old that she could have a cornea transplant. She went to the eye doctor when she was 15, but was told that since she had learned to see with only one eye, that the two eyes could not be trained to work together after all that time. He told them that her right eye could be her "ace in the hole" in case anything ever happened to her left eye, He did fit her with her first glasses and for the first time could actually see the leaves on trees and could see peoples faces from a distance.
Loumelia was destined to go through life not being able to see in 3-D, did not have depth perception other than her own "learned" depth perception. It would have helped her ego if she had known that her lack of depth perception was the reason why she was no good at many sports especially any sports involving a ball. The teachers evidently did not realize it either, because she was made to participate in those games anyway.
When she was almost six years old, her parents found out that she could not go to school that year unless she was six BEFORE September 1st. She would not be six until October 27th, but since she was born at home and the doctor disappeared she did not have a birth certificate. They needed her to be in school that year so the nurse, Agnes, that was taking care of her could go to work helping in the Potato Chip business.
Therefore on Aug. 4, 1933 there was a certificate issued as follows: "To Any Dallas Principal: This certifies that them is on file in the Office of Superintendent of Schools under File Number 1627/1933 a birth certificate for Loumelia Jane Morton, child of Granville Cecil Morton and Thelma Beatrice Lindsey, born at 1327 Lindsley, Elmwood Addition, August 27, 1927.
Attached to the certificate are two affidavits, one signed by the mother who also signed the certificate and the other signed by Billie Salyer, a party not related to the child by blood or marriage, and one who was acquainted with the facts surrounding the birth of the child.
This statement will be accepted by any Dallas Principal in establishing the birth date of Lounielia June Morton on the permanent records of the Dallas Public Schools. Signed: Leo Stadthorr, Census Director'
So Loumelia went to the First Grade as a very young not really six year old in 1933. She attended Lipscomb Grade School for her first and half of her second year. Her Mother told her that if anyone knocked on the door and asked her when she was born to be sure to tell them August 27th and not October 27th. thinking that it could be a census taker. She was scared to death that if she said, August 27th, that a big neon sign would appear on her forehead saying,"LIE!"
After one and one-half years at Lipscomb, she attended Mt. Auburn for the rest of her elementary school days. She would be driven to school, but on most days she would walk home. She had to pass a gulch on the way home and all sorts of scary tales were circulated about what went on down in that gulch. She practically ran all the way until she got past that gulch.
During the Texas Centennial, in 1936, Lournelia had many fun times going to the Centennial at the State Fair Grounds with her Grandmother, MaMa Morton. They would go out early, riding on the streetcar, and stay until after the fireworks around the lagoon at 10:00.
Loumelia took dancing lessons and lessons in 'expression.' Her Mother would drive her to the lessons, so that was a treat. They would end up singing on their way. A favorite was, "Somebody Loves Me." Her Mother loved her beer, so, at times they would stop at a beer joint, the kind with sawdust on the floor and chairs with arms. Mother would have a beer and Lounielia would have a cold drink. Her Mother would tell her not to tell her Daddy, he did not like for her Mother to drink beer. Loumelia was to witness her "redhead" temper a few times. Her hair was not really red but she kept "hernia" on it so it was a strawberry blonde, almost red.
Lournelia remembers her Mother as being very tiny. In fact, her nickname was "tiny." She weighed 104 pounds and was trying her best to lose weight, When Lournelia was just a little girl, she remembered playing "dress-up" in her Mother's shoes. The difference is, they fit! Her mother wore a size 2 1/2 when she could find samples that size. Otherwise, she would have to stuff the toes of larger shoes in order to wear them.
Loumelia remembers the times the family spent at the restaurant of her Aunt Bobbye and Uncle T.B. Arledge The restaurant was Close to the Chip Company when it was on East Grand. Aunt Bobbye would slip 'Thelma a beer in the rat room, so G.C. would not know how many she had. Loumelia remembers dancing by the jukebox and people throwing coins on the floor for her. That was fine! She loved the attention and the approval. Then she remembers being put to bed in her Aunt and Uncle's bed behind the restaurant She could hear the fun going on in the restaurant, and she could also hear noises in the alley behind the room That part was not fun!
The summer of 1938 started out being a fun one, but it was to end in tragedy for Loumelia. Her Mother caught cold frying 65 chickens for a Morton Foods Company Picnic. She kept getting worse, refusing to go to the hospital. Finally, an oxygen tent was set up at home. This was the year before Sulfa was discovered. Then on August 13, 1938, she died of Pneumonia. They were living on Fairview in East Dallas at this time. It was two weeks before Loumelia's 11th birthday August 27th.
This birthday became her "legal" birthday, one that she was to celebrate until her 50th Birthday. Then she announced that the next 50 Birthdays would be celebrated on her "real" birthday. On all legal papers she still has to enter her "legal" birthday.
After her Mother died, her Grandmother Morton moved in to take care of her. During the summer vacations from school she would go with her Daddy to work at the Potato Chip Company. She started out by doing the things "would not cause the production line to get "swamped." She did fold potato chip bags, screw lids on mayonnaise jars and help load trucks along with being a "gofer." When the girls on the production line wanted sodas from the comer grocery, she would be the one to go get them When she got tired she would climb upon a stack of cam of napkins and take a nap. It was not bad, but she did not look forward to summer vacations like her friends did.
After Mt. Auburn, she attended J.L.Long Jr. High School for two years and then Woodrow Wilson High School. One of the highlights of her time at Woodrow was while she was a senior and was in the runoff for Cheerleader. As part, of the tryouts, she got to be one of the cheerleaders to lead the cheers during part of one of the quarters of a Woodrow Football Game, It was her senior year in High School when her friends shortened her name from "Loumelia" to Lou."
In September of 1944, she entered Southern Methodist University. She went through "deferred rush" as it was called and pledged Delta Gamma. She was active in all the organizations and was named to "Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities " in both her Junior and Senior Years, Her college days were during the war so the school had a "speeded up" Navy V-12 program which means that she was able to accumulate enough hours to graduate a little early. She~ however, was going to have a wonderful Senior Year and take the minimum number of hours and go ahead and graduate in June.
She met Van Calvin Ellis in August the summer proceeding her Senior year. Van was born December 22nd, 1926 at the Methodist Hospital in Dallas, Texas. He went to grade school at John F. Peeler in Oak Park, a suburb of Dallas. In 1936 the family moved to Temple, Texas, where Big Daddy worked on the Kyle Hotel and Scott & White Hospital.
She had her first date with him on August 10th. She already had dates for Friday and Saturday nights, but those were the last dates she had with anyone except Van. Six weeks later they were engaged. They knew that her Father would insist that she graduate from college before getting married, the enrolled for 6 courses plus a correspondence course so she could graduate in January instead of June. They were married on March 6, 1948.
Her legal birthday day is Aug. 27, 1927, #53599 (2-21-63), D.P.S. file #1627/1933. She began Grade School in Sept. 1933, attended Mt. Auburn Grade School, then J.L. Jr. High. She graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Jun. 1944 and in Jan. 1948 graduated from S.M.U. with a Bachelor of Arts in General Business. In 1968, she was elected to the Board of Trustees of Wadley Ind. of Molecular Medicine. In Jan. 1944 , she was made Exec. Sec. to the Pres. of Morton Foods and in 1949 Promoted to V.P. of Morton Foods.
Notes for Van Calvin Ellis:
They lived there less than two years. It was there that Van and his sister, Johnny Laveme, met and became good friends with Margie Pearson, who later married Bill Ozier. They remained friends from then on even when the Ellis family moved back to Dallas. After Van finished John F. Peeler, he wait to Adamson High School until he graduated in June of 1944.
While he was in High School he maintained a paper route almost the whole time. He also worked at a Gulf service station for a man named Brown, a fantastic guy. When he was 17 he "borrowed" his Dads draft card, changed the date and went to work in a pool hall for a man named Hunter. He even had a few dates with his daughter while he worked for him Mr. Hunter was a member of the same Masonic Lodge as "Big Daddy." He commented on what a good worker Van was and didn't realize that his son was that old. "Big Daddy" told him how old Van was and Van lost that job.
The same month that Van graduated from High School he joined the Merchant Marines and went to St. Petersburg, Florida, for his training. Got his papers in six months and signed on a ship in Baton Rouge, La. went down to Mississippi through New Orleans on the way to England. He was in Liverpool, England, on his 18th birthday - the "ugliest, dirtiest city I have ever been in my life. An old bombed-out port!"
Van shipped out for the next two and one-half years; France, Italy, North Africa, The Suez Canal to Egypt and India. Made a lot of trips to Cuba and the Caribbean. He was lucky enough to be able to stay out of the South Pacific. Once over there he would not have been able to got home for nine months to two years. He was able to come home at the end of each trip if he wanted to. Therefore, he was able to get home four or five times a year. His longest trip was six months to India. He had signed onto go to Italy, and at the mouth of the Mediterranean they changed their orders to go to Calcutta, India. That was his last trip. His discharge was waiting for him at home. He said that he never wanted to go back to India. He said that it was really a terrible experience.
He was not home very long when "Big Daddy" told him to got over to the house he was painting for G.C. Morton - that"he was losing his butt on that job." That was in August of 1947, The daughter, Lou Morton, was at home that summer instead of working at the potato chip company. The front door to that house opened to a staircase. At the top of that staircase, Lou was laying on the floor in a pair of shorts with her legs propped up on the wall talking on the telephone. All Van could see was legs. He asked one of Big Daddy's painters who that was. He was told, "Mr. Morton's daughter, Lou."
Van and Lou had their first. date on August 10th, 1947. Six weeks later, they were engaged and then six months after that they were married on March 6th, 1948.

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Sunday, March 3,1963
Top management of Morton Foods has been realigned through the creation of two now posts in response to rapid expansion of the Dallas-based food firm.
Directors of the company have elevated G. C. Morton, president and founder, to the new position of board chairman. Van C. Ellis, vice-president in charge of sales was advanced to the presidency, and James W. Campbell, vice president in charge of purchasing. was named to the new post of executive vice-president. In other appointments, Jack D.Brown was made vice-president in charge of manufacturing and Donald M. Guest was promoted to secretary treasurer.
Mr. Ellis has been with the company 15 years, Mr. Campbell 14 years, Mr. Brown 10 years and Mr. Guest, 17 years. The new president, Mr. Ellis, is also a director of Fair Park National Bank and Lone Star Insurance Co. He forecast continued growth for the company. "This is past year saw the acquisition of Craddock Foods, and already ifs facilities are inadequate and a new food processing plant is under construction in Farmers Branch! exclaimed Mr. Ellis."
Morton Foods also acquired Zip Foods of Albuquerque last year, and this spring we have had to create a new Western Division to accommodate Zip and our El Paso and Lubbock plants. "Last December we finished a new plant in Corpus Christi and it will service South Texas. Completion of the Tulsa, Okla., plant and development of markets in Northeastern Oklahoma and adjacent states is scheduled for 1963," he said. "In addition, we are marketing several now products," commented Mr. Ellis.
Founded in 1932, Morton Foods distributes its food products in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico, operating eight plants."


Announcing the engagement of her niece, Miss Loumelia Jane Morton, to Van Calvin Ellis, Mrs. T.B. Arledge entertained with a luncheon Saturday in the Mural Room of the Baker Hotel. The wedding will be March 6 at the Highland Baptist Church. The bride-elect, is the daughter of G.C. Morton, 3509 Southwestern Blvd.., and Mr. Ellis' parents are Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Ellis, 606 Cumberland St.
Miss Morton attended Woodrow Wilson High School and will be graduated Wednesday fi-om Southern Methodist University School of Business. she belongs to Delta Gamma Sorority The bridegroom-to-be attended Adamson High School and saved to the Merchant Marines.
Bridesmaids for the wedding will be Miss Wanda Gooch of Houston, Miss Nancy Dowling of Neenah, Wis., Miss Jackie Chamberlin, Mines. Charles Furby, James W. Campbell and Edwin Turner. James W. Campbell is to attend as best man. Other attendants to the bridegroom will be Alfred T. Ellis, T.B. Arledge, Charles Barbosa, Durwood Harber, James Blair and George Hancock.
Attending the luncheon were members of the bridal patty, Mrs. M. P. Morton, grandmother of the bride-elect; Mrs. Ellis, mother of the bridegroom-to-be, Misses Carolyn Spencer, Joan Jakel, Jane Lloyd, Gladys Hurt, Jeanne Dixon and Betty Schenewerk, Mmes. Al Hopper and Phillip Naab, who will be members of the house party; Mmes. Harry Knight, Olen C. Turner, GlenTinsley, George Hancock, N. A. Caddell, G. D, Morton, Charles Barbosa; Misses Maoion Reese, Janice Ross, Juba Keahey, George Schenewerk and Miss Gloria Turquette, who will present the music.

Dallas Times Herald March 7, 1948

Under a vine covered arch centering the altar at the Highland Baptist Church Saturday evening, Miss Lournelia Jane Morton became the bride of Van Calvin Ellis. The arch was flanked by baskets of white gladioli and stock and floor standards holding cathedral tapers were placed behind the flower arrangements. The bridal aisle was edged in white stock.
Granville C. Morton, 3509 Southwestern Blvd., is the bride's father and Mr. and Mrs. Calvin C. Ellis, 606 Cumberland St., are the parents of the bridegroom. Dr. Julian Atwood performed the wedding oweniony. Mrs. Leo Kopisch was organist, Miss Gloria Turquette and Carleton Anderson, soloists.
Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore an original Christina gown of heaven-pink satin designed with an empire neckline embroidered with imported pink pearls and opalescent bugle beads. Her satin overskirt was heavily embroidered and was worn with a net underskirt, which swept into a fan-shaped train. Three rows of miniature pleating of illusion formed the bride's handmade halo, which was decorated with seed pearls. Her finger tip-length veil fell in misty tiers of pink illusion. Her short mitts of cuffed and ruffled net matched the puffed sleeves of her dress. She carried a cascade of white gardenias and pale pink freschias, and wore a strand of pearls, gift of the bride-groom.


Mrs. T. B. Arledge attended her niece as matron of honor. She wore a white crepe gown with a bolero cape and carried a cascade of pale pink carnation. In her coiffure was a single pink carnation.
Bridesmaids were Mrs. J. W. Campbell, sister of the bride groom; Mrs. Charles Furby III, Mrs. Edwin Turner, Miss Jacqueline Chamberlain, Miss Wanda Gooch of Houston and Miss Nancy Dowling of Dallas and Neenah, Wis. Their white nylon marquisette gowns had deep berthas edged with miniature pleating, Two rows of ruffles cascaded down the back of their bouffant skirts. Carnations were worn in their hair and they carried cascades of pale pink carnations.
James W. Campbell attended his brother-in-law as best man. Groomsmen were Alfred Ellis and T. B. Arledge, uncles of the bride (and the bridegroom);
James Blair, Durwood Harber, George Hancock and Charles Barbosa II.
Judy Hendrix, flower girl, wore a white satin dress and carried pink rose petals in a flower basket of pink ribbon and tulle. Gerald Morton of Irving was his cousin's ring bearer.


At the reception in the home of the bride's father, the three-tiered cake was topped by miniature bride and bridegroom figures. Hand-molded orchids, roses and lilies also dominated the cake. White roses were used in the center of the bride's table. Pink and white snapdragons filled vases throughout the house.
Members of the house party were Mmes. Alfred Hopper, Jr., Charles Barbosa III, Philip Naab, George Hancock, Dorothy May, Herman Lay, Misses Gladys Hurt, Jane Lloyd, Janice Ross, Carolyn Spencer, Joan Jakel, Dorothy Hall, Charlyn Schmalzried and Jean Dixon,
When the couple left for a trip to a resort hotel in McAllen, Texas, and Monterrey, Mexico, the bride wore a vintage purple suit with carved silver buttons. Her side swept hat of blue orchid was trimmed in mauve roses. Her accessories were black patent leather and her corsage was of violets and pink rosebuds.
The bride was graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School and Southern Methodist University where she became a member of Delta Gamma Sorority. Her husband was graduated from Adamson High School and served in the Merchant Marines three years.
Among the out-of-town guests were Mr.. and Mrs, Herman Lay of Atlanta, Ga; Messrs. and Mmes John Curtis and Theodore McCourtney, Memphis, TN; Mr. and Mrs. George Calhoun, Columbus, Ohio; Mr. and Mrs. Bud Burris and James Dooley, Canton Ohio; Harvey Noss, Cleveland, Ohio; Fred Mayer, Madison, Wis.; Al Villesse, Chicago; Mr. and Mrs. Vic Ambler, Paris, TX.; Mrs. Dorothy May, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs. Russet Cravats, Houston; Messrs. and Mmes. Q. Dyess and Roy Shannon, Bryan; Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Edwards, Houston; Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Wood, Fairfield; Mr. and Mrs.E. R. Edwards, Tahoka; Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Wood and Mr. and Mrs. George Marquardt Austin, and Miss B. Edwards, Brownfield.
Children of Lournelia Morton and Van Ellis are; Monica Lanel I Ellis, b. Jan. 31, 1950, St. Paul Hospital, Dallas, Texas, Meredith Lou Ellis, b. Aug, 29, 1951, St. Paul Hospital, Dallas, Texas, O. C. Morton Ellis, b. Dec. 6, 1952, St. Paul Hospital, Dallas, Texas, Calvin Campbell Ellis, b. Sept. 20, 1955, St. Paul Hospital, Dallas, Texas.

Linked toGladys Hattie HURT; Thelma Beatrice LINDSEY; Granville Cecil MORTON

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... 715» Next»     » Slide Show

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources